Thursday, March 12, 2009

DJ Bawden

Last night I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Bawden. For those of you who don't know who he is, he's a sculptor that has done many projects of Joseph Smith. He had some very funny stories, but also some extremely funny ones. My favorites were when he was asked by the prophet to do a sculpture and he didn't have the money to bronze it, how a catholic hospital in Texas would call and offer him a job to do a sculpture of Jesus for the main foyer. Every time he needed money to make something for the Mormon church, the Catholic hospitals in Texas would call him and ask him to a sculpture of Jesus. He became known in Texas as the Catholic Sculptor. Even though he's a Mormon.
If you ever get a chance to go hear him speak, please do so. You will not walk away disappointed. I know I wasn't.

2 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

What a cool opportunity. How did you get to hear him speak?

amy said...

He came to Mesquite a couple years ago and spoke. He is really entertaining. He's actually related to me on my mom's side somewhere down the line. I was also given to sketches he did, one of Christ and one of Joseph Smith. He had a lot of experiences to share and kept things very entertaining. So glad you got to hear from him.