Thursday, September 11, 2008

Emma's Fun Day In Surgery

What a day! It was so rocky at first, with not knowing yet if Medicaid approved the surgery. I called back at 9 this morning like they told me to, and she told me that they finally got the documents needed for Medicaid. Another girl was on the phone with Medicaid at that moment, and she said she'd call me back. Thirty minutes later, she finally called back and said they had to leave a message on someone's voice mail because she wasn't in yet, but to go ahead and go up to the hospital and plan on having it done. So we did.

We dropped Payge off at my mom's, headed to the store for a few things, then went up to the hospital. We got up there 45 minutes before she was due to register. So, I make a quick call to find out if it was approved. The lady I talked to said there was no definite answer yet. Angry, I called back the other girl I was talking with, and she informed me that she, personally, got a hold of this girl at Medicaid, and that it was a big huge YES! Talk about a close call!

The surgery went very well. They gave her some versed (pronounced VER-SAID) before she went in so that she wouldn't realize what was going on. Grady and I went to lunch, came back and read magazines and did word searches, until the doctor came and talked to us. When she left, a nurse came in and said that when she wakes up, one of us can go in. Grady said since he was staying the night, that I could go in and be with her until she's in her room. Not even 5 minutes later, she came back out and said Emma was awake.

Once we were in her recovery room, she was more awake and conscious of what was going on, and started asking for food. We ordered her favorite meal of all...chicken nuggets with Cheetohs, a Sprite and a chocolate chip cookie for dessert...and she ate it ALL. I was so proud of her. Below are a couple of pictures I took of her before I left to come home. I had to show the other kids that she was okay and not in any pain.

Here she is eating her tasty dinner

Still not quite awake, but at least willing to look at me.

3 comments:

Brittany Marie said...

Aw- look at her with her baby doll and everything! That totally breaks my heart! I'm glad to hear she did so well though!!

Shelly said...

Glad all went well, those prayers must have worked (even if it came down to the last minute).

amy said...

I'm so glad everything went well. She looks great in the pics and I hear she was home the next day. Yay! Glad everything worked out, including getting through all the red tape!! UGH!